Monday, February 4, 2013

Winter: Song of Winter




Bob Dylan wrote a poem about her. Blur asked her to sing with them. And Jacques Dutronc married her. But it's taken having a song prominently featured in Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom to clue in the hipsters about the elegant, silky voiced Francoise Hardy. That song, "Tout Les Garcons Et Les Filles", hit the UK Top 40 in 1962 despite the language barrier.

For the album One Nine Seven Zero, Hardy sang "Song of Winter" which takes more credit for a cold spell than any TV weatherman ever has:

I'm the song of winter, I'm the falling snow
Can't you hear me calling you whenever the north wind blows
I'm the cool of evening, I'm the velvet sky
Can't you hear me calling you whenever the breeze passes.



The tune comes from British songwriters Tommy Brown and Micky Jones. After a stint with Spooky Tooth, Jones would form Foreigner whose celebration of frigid women, "Cold As Ice", was a US Top 10 hit in 1977.

blog comments powered by Disqus